16th Biennial IHPST Conference
Energizing Science Education with the History, Philosophy and Sociology of Science
3-7 July 2022
University of Calgary
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The University of Calgary will host the 16th biennial conference of the International History and Philosophy of Science and Science Teaching Group.
Theme: Energizing Education with the History, Philosophy, and Sociology of Science
- Invited speakers:
- Dr. Alison Wylie, of the University of British Columbia, is a philosopher of social and historical sciences. She is currently President of the Philosophy of Science Association, and Past-President of the American Philosophical Association, Pacific Division. Dr. Wylie works on philosophical issues raised by archaeological practice, and by feminist research in the social sciences.
- Dr. Carol Cleland, of the University of Colorado Boulder and current Director of UC Boulder’s Center for the Study of Origins, focusses her research on issues concerning scientific methodology (historical science vs. experimental science, the role of anomalies in scientific discovery), biology (microbiology, origins of life, the nature of life, and astrobiology), and the theory of computation. She is the inventor of the term ‘shadow biosphere,’ a subject on which she has written and lectured extensively.
- Optional field trips to Burgess Shale, Royal Tyrell Museum, and Frank Slide/Bellevue mine
- Original dramatic production, Formations, about four important women earth scientists, their discoveries and their experiences of being a woman in a male dominated career field. Written by Meg Braem and directed by Christine Brubaker
- Graduate student Summer School session
- Undergraduate virtual poster presentation
- Practicing teacher symposium
- Conference dinner at Heritage Park
- So much more…
First call for abstract submission for early decision: 31 October 2021–15th December 2021
Last call for abstract submission: 28 February 2022 - decision until 30th March 2022
Please visit www.ihpst.net for submission instructions and further information.
Click here for conference home page